Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Physical Activity Recommendations: Adolescents (13+ years old)

Having two tweens myself I find articles on adolescents health extremely important. I don't want my children growing up to struggle with the same issues that I am.


As an adult, you need to exercise and maintain a good level of fitness for your health--to manage your weight, prevent diseases, reduce stress, and be able to accomplish normal activities of daily living, from carrying groceries to cleaning the house. Children need to be fit for the same reasons as you. Physical activity has the same benefits, including better sleep, and in some cases, improved behavior and attention. So how much is enough for your child?

Developmentally, adolescents are experiencing puberty and bodily changes as they mature into young adults. You'll likely notice them grow much taller and stronger.

Experts recommend 30-60 minutes of physical activity for adolescents. By this age, allow your teen to choose their own activities, based on their interests--but make sure they're age-appropriate. Some ideas include jogging and running, competitive sports, fitness classes, gymnastics, bicycling, and exercise videos.

As a parent, be a resource and support your child's activity choices. Try to provide her/him with the equipment and transportation necessary to reach his goals. Ensure that your teen exercises vigorously at least 3 days per week.

I'd like to make a special note here ... my DS has been eating healthier snacks & skateboarding on a daily basis for the last month. As a result, that darling boy of mine has lost 5 pounds. We're so very proud of him.

Crack the Fat-Loss Code: Outsmart Your Metabolism and Conquer the Diet PlateauOkay, my last entry was about the book I'm reading "Crack the fat-loss code". I haven't finished it yet ... school threw me off of my lazy boring schedule. That's my excuse & I'm sticking to it. =) Anyway ... I fell off plan from Friday through Sunday ... I don't know what I was thinking ... nothing good obviously. Friday was a dinner for DH and his retirement from the Army, he gave 24 good years. I'm glad he's retired but life sure has changed around here, mostly good though. Saturday we all just layed around the house playing bored to death! he he he DH & I did go for a 2 mile walk Saturday & Sunday night.

Yesterday school started so I was one frazzled person ... trying to keep the kids on a schedule after not having one for 2 months was more difficult then I remembered last year to be. We made it through our first day successfully though ... last night DH decided to go for a longer walk ... 4 miles. DD decided to go with us. She always has so much energy, one day I'll have all that energy.  I may be getting older but I'm also getting back in shape.

Food wise I'm on plan. Yesterday I had; B= 1 oz egg cheese burger, a coffee, 2 cups of water S= 1/2 c cottage cheese, 2 cups of water L= lettuce, cucumber salad with 1/2 can tuna and low carb dressing, 2 cups of water S= vanilla protein shake with crystal light added for new taste. YUMMY!!! 2 cups of water D= cajun flavored flounder, steamed broccoli, lettuce, spinach, cucumber salad with low carb dressing, 2 cups of water S= sting cheese wrapped in 1 slice deli roast beef, 2 cups of water.

2 comments:

  1. You are doing great girl and I know a few days off probably did your body good .. I wish the kids were in school only 8 more days woo hoo
    hugs
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since Brandon can't be real physical because of his brain condition, all he wants to do is play video games.  He's been gaining weight too. We're working on trying to find a medium level of activity for him.
    Missie

    ReplyDelete