Saturday, November 3, 2007

Treadmill monotony

I love my treadmill but I usually can only take the monotony for a week or so. I try to read but then I feel as though I'm not walking fast enough, I'll turn on my music & jam but then after a little while I'm bored. So I started searching the net (nothing new there) for information to help me get out of my treadmill rut. Hope this information helps you ... & me too!
 
3 Ways to Refresh Your Treadmill Workout
Don't Get Stuck in a Treadmill Rut --
By Holly Little, Certified Personal Trainer
 
Is there anything more boring than the treadmill? After endless hours staring at the same wall, anyone would start to wonder if that’s all there is to exercise. But it doesn’t have to be that way. By shaking it up and loading your workout with variety, you can rediscover the fun of a good treadmill workout.

The first thing to remember is that any workout is and can be what you make it. The opportunity to go all out or to barely break a sweat is completely up to you. With that being said, even though the treadmill might be an uneventful and boring thought to most, you have the ability to make it fun and challenging. The following are several tips on how to create your own workout.

 
1) Change up the pace
If you always walk at the same speed for the same amount of time, your body will get used to the routine and you might not see the long-term effects that you desire. Keep in mind that the body responds to changes in pace and sparks your metabolism accordingly. You can begin by trying a pyramid scheme. For example: walk at 3.2 mph for 1 minute then pick it up to 3.5 mph for 1 minute, then go to 3.3 mph for 2 minutes and then 3.6 mph for 2 minutes, etc. You can continue up the pyramid until you reach a point where the speed is at a level where you cannot hold it for the time period and then go back down. Before you know it, you will be walking faster and the time will have flown by.

 
2) Change the incline
With the same thinking that was behind the change in pace, you can do the same with the incline. Shock the body a little bit and do some hill repeats. Your body will respond positively and you will gain some cardiovascular strength in the meantime.

3) Engage in another activity while on the treadmill
If you see an opportunity to spark a conversation with the person next to you, go ahead – talk your time away. There have been many studies that show the positive effects of having a training partner. You might also find some benefits to reading or watching television. Just be sure that you are safe and don’t lose too much focus on the task at hand.

These are just a few tips that can help transform the monotony of working out on a treadmill into a very rewarding experience all around. Now get out there and keep on walking!

2 comments:

  1. Right now I am SOOOO burnt with the treadmill!!!!  I really need to find other things to change it up.  Problem is with the eliptical, I can't stay on it for very long.  I do like the bike though.... Trying to get more into doing videos
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is good information. I hate the treadmill, but it's what I got...I can't read and walk at the same time because I don't walk fast enough...lol and with the screws and metal plates in my right ankle I lose my balance... the music thing really works for me... I usually walk to oldies songs.. 70's and 80's music... some early 90s... its more so the beat and rythm of the music that helps keep it going... and then other times I turn on the t.v and watch the soap operas or talk shows... that helps... keeps your mind off walking and saying OMG is this almost over yet... haha...

    ReplyDelete