Ten Alternatives to a Nightcap
Are you sticking to the plan during the day but blowing your calorie count with a glass (or more) of alcohol each night? If so, try these alternatives to a nightcap from Fit Forever! members:
- Go to bed earlier! You'll wake up feeling a lot better than if you'd stayed up drinking.
- If you do have a drink, stick to just one. Otherwise, your willpower can take a plunge — and lead to late-night snacking.
- Try a cup of hot tea instead. Go for a spicy, soothing variety and really savor it while you sip. There'll be no calories, but rather cancer-fighting antioxidants!
- Drink a full glass of water before each alcoholic drink. You'll drink less alcohol, quench your thirst, and avoid a lot of calories.
- Remember how crummy you feel in the morning after a few drinks! Thinking about that can stop you before you start!
- Get a "busy hands" project going in the evening. Knit, needlepoint, scrapbook, or sort photographs. Your hands will be too busy to hold a drink!
- If you can't resist it, don't keep alcohol in the house!
- Brush your teeth after dinner. Mint and alcohol don't go well together!
- Try to relax in other ways: Stretch, do a facial at home, take a bubble bath, write in your journal.
- Take it one night at a time.