Tex-Mex Burgers with Charred Onion, Salsa and Avocado
|POINTS® Value: 5|
Preparation Time: 15 min
Cooking Time: 9 min
Level of Difficulty: Easy
|Liven up your July 4th celebration with our Southwest-inspired burgers. They're tasty made with lean ground turkey, too.|
- 1 pound raw extra lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup cilantro, fresh, chopped, divided
- 4 oz canned green chili peppers, drained, diced
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 medium vidalia onion(s), or other sweet onion, cut into four 1/4-inch-thick rounds
- 3 sprays cooking spray
- 4 cup romaine lettuce, shredded
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 2/3 medium avocado, Hass, diced
- Preheat grill (or grill pan).
- In a large bowl, combine beef, 1/4 cup of cilantro, green chilies, chili powder and garlic until thoroughly mixed; form into four 1/2-inch-thick patties.
- Coat patties and onions with cooking spray. Grill, flipping once (or more as necessary if using a grill pan), until burgers are desired degree of doneness and onions are lightly charred and tender, about 7 to 9 minutes for medium.
- To serve, place 1 cup of lettuce on each of 4 plates. Top each with 1 burger, 2 tablespoons of salsa, 1 onion slice, 1/4 of diced avocado and 1 tablespoon of remaining cilantro.